February 7-9, 2014
Hyatt Regency at the Arch
Dates for 2014, and summer events!
It's only fitting that we announce our dates for 2014's Kawa Kon Into Darkness on the day Star Trek Into Darkness is released in theatres. Our con next year will celebrate dark fantasy in all its forms, from mind-bending magical girls (think Madoka) to vampires (think Buffy), we've got everything beautiful and scary in our Dark Fantasy Track.
Kawa Kon Into Darkness will be held February 7-9, 2014 at the Hyatt Regency at the Arch. Registration will open officially next week, but you can get a head start on May 19 at the ToyMan Toy Show in Bridgeton, MO. We'll have registration as low as $15 for cosplaying adults (which is only $5 for cosplaying kids!).
If you miss your chance to pre-register at the ToyMan show, don't worry! You can still get the discount at OMGcon and Cosplacon in June. We'll be hitting other events across the area this summer, so keep your eyes out for discounts, free stickers, and, of course, candy.
Important stuff to remember for Kawa Kon 2013...
1. We ask that you do not congregate and talk in the guest room corridors, BUT the Hyatt is nice enough to allow con guests to talk late into the night in both the convention areas AND the hotel lobby. There are lots of comfy sitting areas, so grab a seat, and enjoy!
2. This year, two of our guests charge for autographs. Grey DeLisle charges a cash fee of $20 (which needs to be paid at registration rather than at her table), and Quinton Flynn will give you the first autograph on your own piece of merchandise for FREE, but any autographs after that are $10. These fees are partially to keep lines from being ridiculously long and partially the way our convention can afford such big names. All other guests will autograph for free.
3. The convention hotel is PACKED this year. On the floor above us, there is another event on Saturday night, and there will also be many revellers from Mardi Gras. Please be cautious around drunken hotel guests, and do not try to scare them. We should treat them with respect as they are also paying guests, BUT if you see someone doing something dangerous or are harrassed by someone (even if they are outside the convention group), please notify con security or hotel security IMMEDIATELY.
4. Treat the space with respect as well. We want the hotel to like us.
5. Please follow our convention rules so that we can all have a great time!
Kawa Kon 2013: Old School!
Thank you all for attending Kawa Kon 2012 and muddling through a bit of a transition year for us. We've been working on programming for 2013 ever since this year's convention closed, and every one of your comments has been read and reviewed. While we know we cannot please everyone, we would like to continue with our expanded programming; however, we will be adding more anime and manga into the mix by having a track devoted to it.
Speaking of tracks... our facebook fans got to hear early about our track plans for 2013. Soon, each track will have its own facebook page linked from our website where anyone (even people who haven't joined facebook) can see updates on track programming, contests, and more!
Here's what you can expect:
Theme track: Old School - Nostalgic for your childhood? We'll be celebrating the cartoons, toys, and video games of the 70s-90s, including a My Little Pony modding contest and a pajama party.
Adults Only - This is a track for the 18+ crowd, taking place only in the evening. Watch clips from your favorite Japanese bloodfests, and answer embarrassing questions at our speed-dating event.
Anime/Manga/Video Games - You wanted more, so we're giving you a track full of your favorite entertainment from Japan, including the Worst Video Game Tournament and a Black Butler tea.
Art & Writing - The creative track is back with even more hands-on workshops on crafting, drawing, and writing. Events include an improved Fan Fiction Contest and a Luck of the Draw guided art class.
British Invasion - If you're a fan of Harry Potter, Doctor Who, and Monty Python, this track is bound to be your favourite. Play in the second annual Doctor Who-lympics and join the Steampunk track for our Time Travellers' Ball and High Tea.
Cosplay - Want to learn how to draft your own pattern? Apply the perfect makeup? Build armor from craft foam? The Cosplay track will teach cosplay techniques, both for beginners and seasoned vets, as well as stage movement and scriptwriting for skits.
Doll Festival - Bring your doll to our annual tea, and make her a new costume with our Project Cosplay for Dolls event.
Japanese Culture - This is Japan beyond anime, a land where the customs of traditional culture coexist with modern tech. Panelists will teach aspects of Japanese culture, both past and present.
Steampunk - Re-imagine the Victorian period with panels on building steampunk props and events held cooperatively with the British Invasion track, including High Tea.
Follow Us on Twitter, Tumblr, and Facebook!
Kawa Kon is on all of them! We already have some followers (how did you find us!?), and you can be one of them! Get all the updates you'd like by subscribing to our Tweets here, following us here, and liking us here.
An Easier-to-Remember Website: KKon.com!
Kawa Kon has yet ANOTHER new website to ad to the growing number of places you can go to get the same info as our homepage. Now all you have to remember is KKon.com! KKon.com will have the same information as kawakon.com, animestl.com, and animestlouis.com (we're keeping all of those, but we're just adding kkon.com to that). We're just doing it to make things easier on you when you're trying to remember how to spell "Kawa". :)
All content on this website is © 2012 Kawa Kon LLC. Bishie Con, Kawa Kon Chibi, Ecto Con and Kawa Kon are trademarks of Kawa Kon LLC.
- Our 2010-2012 photo galleries are on our facebook page.